Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getUser() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\forum\joomphpbb_engine2.php on line 683

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getSession() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\joomla\factory.php on line 163
modelbarge.info • View topic - Rope stiffness
Last Site Update
Last Update:
09-04-2018 08:54
Random Gallery Image

Who's Online....
We have 53 guests online
New User Registration
In order to register on this site, you must first submit the passphrase below.

How many DAYS are in February during a LEAP YEAR?
Forum Latest
World Hits
Home

Rope stiffness

Rope stiffness

Postby Jolie Brise » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Following on from my last post "Rope Material & Colour" I realised I had not looked at rope's elasticity. As my pile of test samlpes grew I noticed that some were very limp and some were stiff.

My latest build is 1/10 Jolie Brise, this grew from 1/20 off plans and originally a 1/50 scale kit. I noticed the difficulty of getting ropes to sit sweetly around blocks or cleats and the shrouds did not look rigid.

No online supplier specifies hard or soft rope

My test results of load against elongation can be found on
YouTube "Ropewalk machine part 2 - Rope stiffness" [url]"https://youtube.com/watch?v=CMUSH4G6Kuk"[/url]

The graphs show a marked difference between materials and axial tension during manufacture.
Ropes can be stiffened by hanging a 2Kg weight on the end.

My question is
Should manufactures state "Hard" or "soft"?
Should there a way of specifying rope's elongation such as 1.5% at 250g.?
Does it really matter, is there an actual problem?

Your thought would be appreciated

Tony
Jolie Brise

Re: Rope stiffness

Postby Tomarack » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi,
elasticity of ropes.. put please this to Google .. there is plenty of sources.I think ,maybe you find answer there.
In this respect, I have no experience. But everything depends on what primary uses the ropes are made of. For climbers, elasticity and strength are required, other requirements are for ropes on boats.
The yachts use braided ropes from PE or PP mainly now, as I know, but steel wire for shrouds and stays. I had a strong ropes in my hand- Pe / PP, made the traditional way, they were used as mooring ropes, where elasticity was not an obstacle.
First of all, you need to clarify the purpose for which you want to use certain ropes on the model and then choose the material.
Another thing is, if you have a working rope and then little compromise on appearance on model, or have a rope exactly as the original that will not work .. For my model(in some cases) I use braided fishing lines , and next braided cords ..maybe kevlar lines ..
I do hope next answers you can find on net .. there are several " RC Minisail" organisation ..which can help.
Tom
Tomarack

Location: East part of Czech Republic, Mid-Europe 49°27'54.307"N, 18°8'20.078"E

Return to Questions and Answers