Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getUser() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\forum\joomphpbb_engine2.php on line 683

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getSession() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\joomla\factory.php on line 163
modelbarge.info • View topic - 2016 and greetings and New Year tidings to all
Last Site Update
Last Update:
03-08-2017 12:07
Random Gallery Image

Who's Online....
We have 200 guests online
New User Registration
In order to register on this site, you must first submit the passphrase below.

How many DAYS are in February during a LEAP YEAR?
Forum Latest
World Hits
Home

2016 and greetings and New Year tidings to all

Say Hi.....

2016 and greetings and New Year tidings to all

Postby kimosubby shipyards » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Hello everyone,

Happy new Year to all and any who pass through here. Yes it's a bit lonely sometimes, but if you use the message system then it eventually gets through.

Nice to have the site back up and running again - went off-line for some time - still it's here now.

Aye, Kim

PS I've started my tb LD again, so will begin adding updates after the LMEX show next week. My wife and I will be there with AMBO and we're staying down to take in some of the sites too - its a long way to come and not have a wee look about.
kimosubby shipyards

Re: 2016 and greetings and New Year tidings to all

Postby reg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks for the New Year greetings
Look forward to seeing you at Ally Pally
Reg
reg

Postby kimosubby shipyards » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi Reg, have we met before ?

I've done a few shows with Richard now about the country, Harrogate, Haydock, SWMEE, Warwick, Sandown etc, seen a few barge builders, but being up North and West a bit don't get to see and greet the many from down South!

I'm bringing my wee rope walk, some sails to demonstrate sail sewing esp bolt ropes and such and my part built LD. Will be most welcome to chew the cud sir, most welcome.

Aye, Kim
kimosubby shipyards

Postby Tomarack » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi Kim,
I'm glad to see you again here in this forum. I hope to see you here more often .

Greetings

Tom
Tomarack

Location: East part of Czech Republic, Mid-Europe 49°27'54.307"N, 18°8'20.078"E

Postby kimosubby shipyards » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:01 am

Hi Tom,
yes I hope to be a bit more regular here as I progress my Lady D. Will let you have a report of the LMEX when I return.
Aye, Kim
kimosubby shipyards

Postby Mastman2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi everyone happy new year to you all.
from Dave at mastman models
Mastman2

Postby Reg Steel » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Greetings to you as well. It's nice to see some life on the AMBO site.
Do you have any advice about chains? I'm building a 1/24 scale Veronica (though she'll be called Marigold) and have just decked her and am starting to think rigging and anchor chains. For lower rigging how many lpi would you recommend and do you have a source that you'd recommend? Are the lower chains on the mizzen mast smaller than those on the main shrouds and if so advice again please.
Reg Steel
Reg Steel

Postby kimosubby shipyards » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi Reg,

good questions, and off hand not sure but I can take a look see what is in my references. If you can get it, use soldered chain for the anchor. You don't need a lot as you'll hint at loads below deck through the anchor chain hawse pipe. I suggest soldered as I've lost at least two anchors when the chain parted during "accidental" contact with other items whilst afloat.

I'll see what Kathleen and the Scone book suggest, but from memory, I think they talk about 1/2 and 3/4 inch chain for the rigging. I think that's the size of the link, so at 1/24 thats 0.5 and 0.75mm which then calculates to about 50 and 33 Lpi (assumes 1mm = 1" at scale 1/24). I know there were/are at least two different sizes in use up in the rigging etc.

The anchor would be I guess between 4 and 5 1/2" in real life, so again at scale 4 to 5mm links equating to 6 to 5 Lpi. 8Lpi might be ok too, depends what you can get, but get it blackened whatever else, true chain would be galvanised so grey, don't use brass chain unless you spray it grey, looks quite odd on a barge.

I'll get back if there's any real difference in the books, and I've some data from RC which I can go through too.

Aye, Kim
kimosubby shipyards

Return to Welcome