Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getUser() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\forum\joomphpbb_engine2.php on line 683

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getSession() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\joomla\factory.php on line 163
modelbarge.info • View topic - Hello from Queensland
Last Site Update
Last Update:
24-11-2017 19:41
Random Gallery Image

Who's Online....
We have 99 guests online
New User Registration
In order to register on this site, you must first submit the passphrase below.

How many DAYS are in February during a LEAP YEAR?
Forum Latest
World Hits
Home

Hello from Queensland

Say Hi.....

Hello from Queensland

Postby Steamshy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:25 am

Hi from Queensland,
I've seen the tsb's on U-tube and what a sight they are to see. It got me interested in building one. Not knowing just where to start typical of me it just came about from the pictures and videos I had seen. I've built a number of boats from scratch so why not a barge I thought. As usual there's always questions about a new build so I contacted Richards Cheney for help. He kindly sent me some DVD's which helped enormesly. I've just got to the almost finished stage after about 4 months on and off and itching to the water with it. I usually build models with a steam engine so this is all new to me and I must say very interesting. One thing I need help with and hope someone can post a pic of the setup for the mainsail blocks and pulleys to the sailing horse. I keep looking at pictures but none show the full bits all together in the one pic I need.
Thanks in anticipation

Steamshy Andy
Steamshy

Re: Hello from Queensland

Postby Tomarack » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi,
in terms of control of the main sail - it depends on whether you are building a ship's model in a display case or an RC model.
Sheets for the RC model should be simple to be able to operate reliably. You'll find a suitable masterpiece at the first video on this page (Veronica by P. Simmonds). both sheets and vangs are controlled by lever servos.
I recommend reading the available literature, or browsing the photographs of the barges on the net
as far as books are concerned, so is a very good book from Kent and Freston -> Modeling thames sailing barge. Here the authors describe the construction of the tsb Kitty model, both static and radio-controlled.
I recommend you watch the videos on this page and read an article from Kim Holland on sail control on RC model TSB
Greetings
Tom/tomarack
P.S.
For more details, please send me your email address TX
Tomarack

Location: East part of Czech Republic, Mid-Europe 49°27'54.307"N, 18°8'20.078"E

Postby Tomarack » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi, here I put main sheets photos of my Capricorn model

TX
Attachments
IMG_0026.jpg
main sheet detail
IMG_0026.jpg (101.59 KiB) Viewed 213 times
IMG_0025.jpg
main sheets
IMG_0025.jpg (99.24 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Tomarack

Location: East part of Czech Republic, Mid-Europe 49°27'54.307"N, 18°8'20.078"E

Postby Steamshy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi Tomarack
Thanks for photo’s and welcome tips. It’s much clearer now what should be done on my barge sails. I plan to sail it rather than as a static display model. I have only the one servo to control the mainsail which due to the way I had the rig setup pulled the sail out of shape. It will certainly improve the overall look and more probably the sailing ability of the sail to have two blocks rather than the one. I’m unused to the terminology used for components of sailing barges so please excuse my lack of knowledge. Thanks for your help.

Regards
Andy
Steamshy

Return to Welcome