Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getUser() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\forum\joomphpbb_engine2.php on line 683

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getSession() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\joomla\factory.php on line 163
modelbarge.info • View topic - Bow/Stern Laninates verses Frames (ribs)
Last Site Update
Last Update:
09-04-2018 08:54
Random Gallery Image

Who's Online....
We have 97 guests online
New User Registration
In order to register on this site, you must first submit the passphrase below.

How many DAYS are in February during a LEAP YEAR?
Forum Latest
World Hits
Home

Bow/Stern Laninates verses Frames (ribs)

Bow/Stern Laninates verses Frames (ribs)

Postby ChrisC » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi, I'm new to model barge building and I am in the planning phase of constructing the Thames Coastal Sailing Barge 'Celia Jane'. The plans indicate using thick laminates to construct the bow/stern sections. However I'm also aware that some hulls are constructed using a series of thin frames (ribs) along the length of the hull and then sheeting over the top. Can you please suggest the pros and cons of constructing my barge using either of these methods. Many thanks for your help. Chris
ChrisC

Re: Bow/Stern Laninates verses Frames (ribs)

Postby Tomarack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Chris,
it all depends on what technology will suit you best.

Celia Jane has boxlike hull,and she isn´t good sailer --but that's another question.
For races it is not an ideal choice, but for summer sailing on the water .. it probably does not
need to be solved
I recommend you read the posts on this forum and look into Gallery ..
Peter Simmonds describes the construction of sb Westmoreland in Marine Modeling
International (MMI) magazine nr 7 /2016. He builds the central part of the model like a box, the bow and stern covered with double sheeting .
Next articles :
TSB Veronica - MMI 7 -8 - 8/2014 (by Richard Chesney)
TSB Haughty Belle - MMI 9/2016 with counter stern (by Peter Simmonds)
I personally use other construction techniques that are not quite ... ideal .. see my gallery.
For reinforcement I also use the fibre glass laminate as an outer layer...this is not entirely ideal
with respect to the accuracy of the original.
Look here e.g.
> http://www.tradboat2.co.uk/modelmaking/ ... rt_one.htm
> http://barge.homeunix.org/pdf/2012/Buil ... or_GRP.pdf
Of course, I recommend reading at least the posts here on this site => barge building

For any further questions, please send me an email,

greetings
Tom
Tomarack

Location: East part of Czech Republic, Mid-Europe 49°27'54.307"N, 18°8'20.078"E

Re: Bow/Stern Laninates verses Frames (ribs)

Postby Tomarack » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi,
I almost forgot ...there were some articles about Celia Jane (Metcalf mouldings) in the Model Boats magazine. I think you should read it ...

about tuning model ...Model Boats July 2007 (about fin keel position and sails )
more fine tunning .... Model Boats November 2008

Wishing success
Tom
Tomarack

Location: East part of Czech Republic, Mid-Europe 49°27'54.307"N, 18°8'20.078"E

Return to Questions and Answers