Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getUser() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\forum\joomphpbb_engine2.php on line 683

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JFactory::getSession() should not be called statically in C:\xampp\htdocs\barge\libraries\joomla\factory.php on line 163
modelbarge.info • View topic - Rope material and colour
Last Site Update
Last Update:
09-04-2018 08:54
Random Gallery Image

Who's Online....
We have 121 guests online
New User Registration
In order to register on this site, you must first submit the passphrase below.

How many DAYS are in February during a LEAP YEAR?
Forum Latest
World Hits
Home

Rope material and colour

Rope material and colour

Postby Jolie Brise » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Looking at model photos there does no appear to be a standard colour or material used for ropes.

The originals barges would have used hemp but was it left natural, tared black or stained tan?
Does anybody know of any colour samples, dye colours, paint samples?

Tony

Just completed building my own ropewalk so I can reproduce the originals.
Jolie Brise

Re: Rope material and colour

Postby Tomarack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 am

Hi,
the answer is not simple ... in "smart books" I found ..
In the "old times" hemp was main material for both .. for standing and running rigging.
Ropes and cables for standing rigging were usually dressed with tar ("stockholm /pine/tar).
The colour ..dark brown to nearly black. (this also applies to ratlines).
Ropes and lines for running rigging remains in the original color of the material ..(beige, dark beige)(?)=> described as a pale sandy fawn color, a grayish tan, a light-grayish yellowish brown, or a pale to grayish yellow .
At present
Thames sailing barges .. ...standing rigging -- mainly wires, dressed with (stockholm) tar
Other wires - e.g. running backstays and vangs .. dressed with hot linseed oil and white lead.
G.I. wires ... galvanized iron , FS wires ...bare or zinc coated(?) => source = internet
Running rigging - mainly white manilla , without dressing - light beige colour(?)
Mooring and tow ropes -coir ..colour???
Warping track horse line...cotton .. colour .. gray ???
main sheet - 4" manilla
it is possible now to use ropes from new plastic materials .
For modellers - for standing rigging (shrouds and stays) there is recommend black leather round cord (Freston-Kent:Modelling Thames sailing barge)
When making ropes with ropewalk - directly black cord(representing tarred rope),for running rigging dark beige (c.N.Longridge -the Anatomy of Nelson´s ship)

greetings
Tom
Tomarack

Location: East part of Czech Republic, Mid-Europe 49°27'54.307"N, 18°8'20.078"E

Re: Rope material and colour

Postby Jolie Brise » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.

To get a coulour match I bought a piece of hemp rope from Arthur Beal.

I completed my video of my ropewalk and written up full details of my extensive tests with many failures.

You can find them http://www.joliebrisemodels.co.uk/rope/

Thanks again Tony
Jolie Brise

Return to Questions and Answers